In May 2015 we bought our first home in Woodstock, Cape Town. We were both very surprised when our, what we thought was way too low, offer was accepted.
The bond process and paper work for the transfer is tedious but we got through it. We decided to borrow a little bit extra to cover bond costs and there were just a few small things we wanted to do to the house, the biggest of which was renovating the bathroom. However, once we moved in my uncle (a builder with over 30 years experience) inspected the property and informed us that we needed to address the plaster of the wall at the back of our house urgently. This we did not expect.
Our house is a semi-detached double storey victorian cottage from 1907. The plaster was apparently still the original. Historically amazing, however as it is the weather side of the house it was coming loose and could cause damp inside the house.
We had to have the old plaster removed and then re-plaster and paint. This meant scaffolding and many hours of labour and pretty much our whole renovation budget.
We moved in about 4 weeks before transfer went through so we had to wait to start the renovation process.
When transfer went through, my uncle arrived with his team and they started to chip off the plaster. This had to be done carefully as the bricks were from 1907 and so are unfired and very fragile. The bricks are so beautiful. I loved the look of them. The dust was of course horrible and we decided to basically move all our stuff upstairs and live up there until the renovation was complete.
Once the plaster was removed, the re-plastering begun. This was very messy and as it was winter in Cape Town they had to move quickly so as to not expose the bricks and house to too much rain. The rain did come and halted work on the outside for a day or two. Once the plaster was dry they used a weather proof primer and then painted. The colour is a deep cool grey. I, as you may have guessed, love grey. We eventually want to pain the front of our house the same colour. The white window frames just finish it off nicely.
While all this was going on outside we also got my uncle to break down a dry-wall between foyer and kitchen. It made such a difference and we are so happy with the flow and the light inside the house now. They also chipped away the little red tiles that were on the low wall between kitchen and the lounge. More of the inside renovations to come in the next post.
That's all for now. More on the inside of the house in the next post. Keep following us to see how we update our home bit by bit.